The history of Canwick Park Golf Club can be traced back over 100 years to 1893 when the club was first formed. Since then various changes have taken place, many of which are detailed below.
1897: The first clubhouse was built behind St Botolph’s Vicarage.
1913: The Southcliffe Golf Club was formed. Livestock were blocked from the course.
1915: Common land was requisitioned by the Government for training of soldiers and as a testing ground for the then revolutionary “Tank” which was manufactured at a local factory.
1919: Play resumes on the course.
1923: Club President Mr W S White opens a new clubhouse, constructed alongside the railway bridge. Ladies held their first meeting in the same year and the club renewed affiliation with the Lincolnshire Union of Golf Clubs.
1926: The General Strike had a damaging event on the club.
1934: Club in a sound financial position again, primarily through a novel money raising football sweep devised by Cecil Barnes.
1937: Ladies join the Ladies Golf Union.
1940: Club granted free use of clubhouse and course to Armed Services personnel. Membership grew throughout the war years.
1945: Railway Company gave notice to the club to vacate the land where the clubhouse stood.
1946: 58 South Park was purchased and became the new clubhouse.
1963: Alterations to extend the course to 12 holes took place following council permission.
1972: The members were shocked to learn that the council planned to stop all sporting activity on the South Common. A feasibility study was carried out into constructing a course in Canwick Park, owned by Jesus College, Oxford. A lease was granted and The Southcliffe and Canwick Park Golf Club was formed.
1974: The new clubhouse was officially open by the Major of Lincoln.
1975: An 18 hole golf course, designed by Hawtree & Sons of Croydon, was officially opened by the Club President.
1979: Land adjacent to course became available. David Thomas re-planned the course with Standard Scratch Score (SSS) of 70, which was opened in 1981.
1986: The company name was changed to Canwick Park Golf Club Limited. The overall layout of the golf course has been changed three times since 1974, resulting in the stunning parkland course that members and visitors enjoy today.